raoulteeuwen

Problems with Pootle

Hi.

I'm doing the Dutch translation. Before using the online Pootle based service i used the POedit files.

I currently have 2 problems:

1) on http://translate.inoreader.com/ it says 100% complete, but on http://translate.inoreader.com/projects/ it says it is only 74% complete, and the rest needs work or has not been translated

2) i suddenly see translations in different non-Dutch languages in my translations, in strings i know i translated to Dutch

I have no idea what is happening, and this makes me wonder what i need to do and whether any more translations make any sense.

Hello,

Thank you for report and sorry about this inconvenience. 

We found a glitch in the pootle which automatically was matching already translated strings with its internal database and marks them as fuzzy. Also we found some replaced strings with such from other languages which was a bigger issue for us. There are some threads online for this behavior see here and here.

We’ve made some changes about a  week ago for this fuzzy matching and we hoped to not happen again, but obviously is happening.

Can you tell us when you sее this 26% of need work strings and when they was translated?

We will continue working on this issue and we hope to find a solution soon. 

Please review your work and notify us if you encounter some inconsistent strings or issues. 

Suggestion for maintain local copies remain, until all of us used to work with this service. 

Also we've implement a backup system which backups all translation files every 6 hours for cases like this.

If you have any issues with pootle translation service, please notify us.

Hi Wesson. Thanks for your informative reply! On http://translate.inoreader.com/ (i forgot to paste this URL in my first post, sorry) it says the Dutch translation is 100%. On the other URL it says it needs work...

Since i've spent a lot of hours on the translation, i currently find it hard to use this Pootle environment: i have the feeling i can't trust what is happening, that work i've done gets wiped etc :-(

Ah, thanks, i thought that page showed only my projects, so numbers for only my translation...

I am still confused though:

• In the beta Inoreader i see certain strings. Which are translated to Dutch.
  • When i look them up on the translate/Poodle platform, i can find the English string, but there is no Dutch translation.
  • Are the translations we see in the beta Inoreader based on the POedit files we sent you guys? Or is the translation we see in the beta based on what we find in Poodle?
  • I did some translations online since the online translation platform went live. It seems the online Dutch translation seems to have been messed up (strings that were translated in the POedit are not translated online). I have no clue what to work on, whether work has been lost, what strings need translation etc 

Thanks again Wesson.

It would be nice to sum up this Pootle service in the FAQ. Currently I have no idea that is it live now, or how often the site is it updated from it, is it just for the beta site, how it manages the offline edited files, what are the templates and where and how to update them etc.

Is the service alive? I have made some changes some time ago, but I still don't see those items on my language,

Do you mean you wonder if/when the translations in this Pootle-service are going to be used in the actual InoReader product? (if so: so do i :-), as this is the only place i'm currently doing translations)

There's a message in the system saying that we are still working on the automatic provisioning. Since this is a tricky system (you already saw that...) we can't afford to just make an automation and assume it will work.

The goal is to use Pootle, we have invested a lot of time in it, so we don't want to throw it away.

The translated files will go automatically to beta.inoreader.com. Right now we are running the transfer manually. We will sync the new translations tomorrow. 

Hi Admin,

As you may already know, and may be already working for it, translate.inoreader.com is down for several hours.

Error:

(145, "Table './pootle/pootle_store_store' is marked as crashed and should be repaired")

Regards

Hi,

Downloading .po or .zip file doesn't seem to work properly.

Downloaded files are always 0 byte.

Regards

This behavior was fixed. 

You should be able to download and upload files already. Sorry about the inconvenience.

I confirmed the server responded HTTP 500 (HTTP 302, then 500, Firefox doesn't report it explicitly).

It reproduces on Firefox (Win&Linux also Safe mode), GoogleChrome(Win&Linux) and IE.

Downloading XLIFF works fine. I'll use it tentatively.

Hello, 

I've just tested again and everything looks fine.

Please do not use this URL or just go to http://translate.inoreader.com/ja/inoreader/ and click on the download link.

Yes, I usually click the link to download.

Hi,

I noticed that Pootle breaks .po files under the following conditions:

1. Plural forms is different from unicode CLDR(?) or any standards.
  2. Translate usually offline, sometimes online.

Yes, this might be fairly rare case :)

Result:

Pootle overwrites plural form (according to standard) and removes empty or edited pluralized strings like follow:

--- messages.po.before    2016-02-22 16:16:18.586436046 +0900
+++ messages.po    2016-02-22 17:20:37.000000000 +0900
@@ -8,16 +8,16 @@
 "Project-Id-Version: InoReader Japanese 1.0\n"
 "Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
 "POT-Creation-Date: 2016-02-22 06:10+0200\n"
-"PO-Revision-Date: 2016-02-22 16:16+0900\n"
+"PO-Revision-Date: 2016-02-22 08:20+0000\n"
 "Last-Translator: Masato <cabezon.hashimoto@gmail.com>\n"
 "Language-Team: Japanese\n"
 "Language: ja\n"
 "MIME-Version: 1.0\n"
 "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n"
 "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n"
-"Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=(n != 1);\n"
+"Plural-Forms: nplurals=1; plural=0;\n"       ← overwritten
 "X-Generator: Pootle 2.5.1.1\n"
-"X-POOTLE-MTIME: 1456125024.000000\n"
+"X-POOTLE-MTIME: 1456129212.000000\n"

#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/api.php:749
 #: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/upload_handler.php:15
@@ -1136,8 +1136,7 @@
 #, php-format
 msgid "%s unread article"
 msgid_plural "%s unread articles"
-msgstr[0] "%s 件の未読記事"
-msgstr[1] "%s 件の未読記事"      ← removed [1] entry
+msgstr[0] "%s 件の未読記事 test" ← edited string online

#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/include/global.php:10457
 #, php-format
@@ -8576,7 +8575,6 @@
 msgid "%s member of your organization"
 msgid_plural "%s members of your organization"
 msgstr[0] ""
-msgstr[1] ""    ← removed empty entry

#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:2673
 msgid "New team"
@@ -11757,7 +11755,6 @@
 msgid "and %s other"
 msgid_plural "and %s others"
 msgstr[0] ""
-msgstr[1] ""

#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:13475
 #, php-format

However, existing and not edited plural strings aren't touched so .po file is fatally broken.

msgfmt -cvo /dev/null messages.po
messages.po:7: nplurals = 1...
messages.po:321: ...but some messages have 2 plural forms
msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
2855 translated messages, 38 untranslated messages.

Therefore, this .po file will be never applied, but it's hard to catch for translators.

The reason why do I specify different plural form from standard is due to the use of the string "Unread":

#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:11511
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:12445
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:21421
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:21519
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:21524
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:21529
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:23893
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:23921
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:23927
#: /var/www/beta_inoreader_com/index.php:23928
msgid "Unread"
msgid_plural "Unread"
msgstr[0] "未読"
msgstr[1] "未読"

This seems to be used both of  the number of unreads ("nnn Unread") and the label of checkbox, button, etc. ("Unread"), (depend on version?)

This ambiguity complicates the translation (as for Japanese at least) :(

On 2015/5/22 at 4:15 PM, wesson said:

This error 500 should appear only if you are not logged in in the system.

Are you sure that you are logged in http://translate.inoreader.com/ with your user name and password?

Verrrry sorry for toooooo late reply X(

Download as zip file works fine so I use it.

Thx

This seems to be used both of  the number of unreads ("nnn Unread") and the label of checkbox, button, etc. ("Unread"), (depend on version?)

This ambiguity complicates the translation (as for Japanese at least) :(

Oops, sorry, I noticed that this is ambiguity but not the reason now, this was the reason. Format of this plural string should be different in the past.

This issue is just FYI.