joh

Rule/search matching issues

I have noticed that rules capture many items that apparently equivalent active searches do not.

I don't know how this fits in with this recent issue:

On 7/6/2018 at 1:22 PM, maddhin said:

Just as a comment as this is a different problem: I do have a big number of articles which should have been tagged by a rule but never got tagged. The rule is usually very simple "for new articles in account -> title or content contains "football" -> assign tag "football" - still some articles manage not to get tagged this way although "football" is even in the title... 

Secondly, a rule can look for any incidence of the string, whereas the active search seems limited to whole words. This is great, since it solves the issue I had with lack of wildcard prefix, so I have switched my active searches to rules that match content and add a tag. This does not on its own seem to explain the differences I have seen between search and rule matching.

joh

As further proof that this is a real issue:

I have two subscriptions that sometimes post the exact same item. When this occurs, sometimes the active search picks up both items, and sometimes just one. Thus it seems to be entirely random whether an active search misses a match. Rules seem to be more successful for me. Perhaps you can comment on why active search might randomly miss items, and why there is a difference between active search and rule matching.

cheers,

joh

While this is true, it is not the answer to my query. While I have observed differences between rules and searches that are not related to syntax, I will for the sake of argument assume I keep missing something obvious. Okay. However, even comparing active searches of identical items, as in my example, items are missed. This shows that it is nothing to do with syntax, but apparently (frequent) random failure to match criteria. I'll repeat again that some of the items that are missed are identical to those that are matched, but just in a different subscription that is working and successfully matched on other occasions. Additionally rules and highlighters are both flagging the criteria successfully, when I look at the missed item.

cheers,

joh

OK, but we'll need some examples in order to give you more adequate answer about it. So please give us your active searches and rules criteria respectively their matches.