DrForce

Instapaper integration stopped working

Up until recently, I was using Instapaper integration successfully to save articles of interest. Then I noticed articles that I was saving were not showing up in my Instapaper account but no error message was given. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting my Instapaper account and now I receive an error (attached screenshot). Is there any solution to this?  

instapaper.png

It seems that Instapaper was pretty unprepared to GDPR compliance. The "freezing" announcement have been made on may 24th... only one day before the implementation of the GDPR!

Unfortunately won't be reverted here. We've removed all code and data related to Instapaper from our backend and apps after waiting for a month and receiving a vague response from their side on whether the service will be available in EU again and that exceptions won't be made even for the API.

1 hour ago, wesson said:

Unfortunately won't be reverted here. We've removed all code and data related to Instapaper from our backend and apps after waiting for a month and receiving a vague response from their side on whether the service will be available in EU again and that exceptions won't be made even for the API.

I'm sorry but I find this unacceptable... 

On 8/8/2018 at 6:21 AM, wesson said:

I ask that you reconsider your decision to abandon Instapaper integration.

Instapaper is the best read it later service available and many folks (me included) use Instapaper as a key component in our Inoreader workflow. Instapaper might have been unresponsive because they were in the process of becoming independent again. Would you reach out to them again to see if you can get a response?

Even though you removed the code from production, it should still be accessible through whatever version control you use. Adding it back to Inoreader should be relatively simple and may require some tweaking, but will benefit a lot of your users. Once you add it back, you'll be able to advertise it as a feature to new users of Inoreader as well!

Again, I urge you to reconsider your decision about abandoning Instapaper. Your users will thank you.

3 hours ago, DrForce said:

Instapaper is the best read it later service available and many folks (me included) use Instapaper as a key component in our Inoreader workflow. Instapaper might have been unresponsive because they were in the process of becoming independent again. Would you reach out to them again to see if you can get a response?

Even though you removed the code from production, it should still be accessible through whatever version control you use. Adding it back to Inoreader should be relatively simple and may require some tweaking, but will benefit a lot of your users. Once you add it back, you'll be able to advertise it as a feature to new users of Inoreader as well!

Again, I urge you to reconsider your decision about abandoning Instapaper. Your users will thank you.

Totally agree -- I did more than one post specifically regarding saving different types of articles from Inoreader to each of the "read later" site supported by Inoreader, and most of the time Instapaper was the clear winner.

Ideally I'd like to see Instapaper acquired and rebranded as ~Inopaper. ;)

On 8/9/2018 at 8:35 PM, DrForce said:

Totally agree! Integration with instapaper is the only reason why I become a subscriber of Inoreader. Please bring it back. Thank you!

Please, reconsider that decision. I used A LOT Inoreader + Instapaper. I will explain my workflow hoping it makes you change it.

I have sight issues, so I use almost everyday the app VoiceDream to listen to my saved articles. This app has integration with Instpapaper and Pocket, so I read my shorts articles on InoReader and send the rest to Instapaper, so easy as pressing I.

The months Instapaper was closed, I used Pocket, and trust me, it's not the same. For my user case, Pocket left many articles without any text. When Instapaper came back to Europe, I think that my very productive workflow would come back, but it's not the case.

I not even can use a IFTTT recipe, don't know why, to send starred articles to Instapaper. It's a real pitty.

Please, PLEASE, make Instapaper come back to InoReader. I always use Instapaper and don't want to search another workflow because this reason.

I just signed up for the trial of the Inoreader version that enables rules so I can automate sending content to Instapaper based on the help articles I've been reading on Inoreader's site. For me that integration was a major selling point. Still considering the upgrade, but removal of this integration substantially lower the value proposition for my use case.

+ 1 to bring the feature back.

For others looking for an alternative solution, Zapier seems to have something that works, but that adds another paid service...

I also view this decision by Inoreader as unacceptable. Comes across as petty. The fact is that Instapaper is one of the two best read-later services out there, arguably the best, and many of it use it as a critical aspect of our work flow. I'm looking at switching from a Feedly Pro account to an Inoreader Pro account. I'm digging Inoreader but if this decision is final, then I'm going back to Feedly. I'm on the Inoreader Pro trial right now, we'll see where this is at in a month.

As a longtime paid user of Inoreader and routine promoter of your service, I urge you to reconsider this decision. I agree that your reasoning sounds petty and I hope you can rise above that kind of dynamic and re-establish your connection with InstaPaper. They are clearly experiencing some growth pains and business changes, but there is really no competition and it is critical to my workflow. Pocket is simply not a realistic alternative for my work.

I have replied the same in another topic:

We were already exposed once from this issue and the reluctance of their team to assist us and our users (you) was pretty indicative that we might expect something like this in the future too. It was their inability to understand that non-EU users were actually affected by this that was most frustrating to us.

We had the same accusations during the time from "paying customers" asking why we can't do anything and why this isn't an issue with Feedly. It was very frustrating having to explain to them the internal issues about the location of our backend, etc. Our ticketing system was full with opened priority (paying customers) tickets and we couldn't do a thing to fix them. Being a customer centric enterprise, this is our worst nightmare. That's why we still use our own infrastructure and no external devs/support. We have waited more than a month and when we didn't receive any concrete response, we decided to officially remove this integration for good with an official explanation to all affected users (send via email).

Instapaper was never part of any paid plan. Most integrations are free here exactly because we feel that we cannot guarantee that they will exist in perpetuity. Exception is IFTTT, because we actually have to pay them to be part of their partner network.

Currently you can still use Instapaper without much difference through IFTTT. You can use a separate tag to send tagged articles to Instapaper, or just use your Stars. You can also use the default iOS/Android sharing to exchange articles between the Inoreader app and Instapaper. Those methods worked even during the outage and that's what we suggested users to do.

I understood why Instapaper didn't work, which was due to their own internal issues. I never related that issue to Inoreader or held Inoreader responsible for the connection issue. However, now that Instapaper is working again,  the Inoreader team apparently holds a grudge and is salty. Your unwillingness to reinstate this connection seems petty, since "frustrated" is your official explanation.

Also, I doubt the "paying customer" in quotations is meant to be condescending but it comes across that way...  BTW, I am a paying customer...

I'm disappointed.

21 hours ago, Jacket said:

I have replied the same in another topic:

Thanks for the follow up. I do agree with some of the other posters that maybe the tone wasn't handled well, but I greatly appreciate the pointer to IFTTT and your integration with it + it's integration with instapaper.

I was able to setup IFTTT + Instapaper integration in about 5 minutes and it seems to be working well.