T H

New Update 6.0 is a fall back in last century

Recommended Posts

Absolute stupid update. The whole set up is nonsense. Bigger pictures not visible or clear by Ipads.

Limited views are not allowing smaller pics in list form.

Who is checking such updates on compabilty for ipads????

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, I think what happened is that Inoreader was too eager to get this version out. IMHO they should have waited another few weeks and fixed all the obvious bugs first - at the moment it feels a bit like the users are used for bug-testing. Although I have to say that the app feels nowhere ready and I cannot understand why it is released with such obvious shortcomings like desasterous (some might say useless) views - which potentially drive people away from the native Inoreader app for now good reason.

BUT I think we all like (and support!) Inoreader for what it is. AFAIK it's a small outfit and not a Google or Apple with a couple of thousand engineers. Let's give them solid, constructive feedback and a moment to fix the app and I am confident they will manage to get the app to the same useful and efficient level the old app was - just more pretty...

Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest we were a bit eager, but if you know how many months and iterations went into this build you would probably understand. We have changed so many things so many times that some of them aren't even in the project files anymore. We were just exhausted at some point and were in desperate need of real user feedback. So we set up a Testflight program with 150+ users and that went really well according to the feedback, so we thought that we're ready for a launch. And I really think the effort we put into stabilization and bug fixes payed off, but we lacked a fresh perspective on the design and UX. We were internally testing it for months here and we gradually got used to everything new in the app, so we never really thought about the shock we are going to unleash on you. I really want to apologize for that, but at the same time I don't think thank anything would've been drastically different had we waited for another month. We were just burned out and tired of reiterating on the same things over and over again. Now this is not our first launch of a major design change, so we weren't expecting THAT much negative feedback. So we are now frantically working to fix everything we can in the best possible way. That's why it now feels as if we are experimenting on you and really this is more or less true. I wish it weren't like this, but this is what we can achieve with so much resources. At the same time we can't just undo everything to the way it was, because this basically defeats half a year of development and planning for something a lot bigger that should help our team sail smoothly for years to come. It's not possible for any business these days to just sit there and do nothing. It will sooner or later not be competitive and will have to shut down. There are examples, a very recent ones. We (and hopefully you) don't want this to happen to us. So we need to keep moving, even if it means that sometimes we break something in the process. We're always listening to the feedback. I'm personally reading every forum post (via RSS of course), tweet or support ticket and even though I can't physically answer everyone (but @wesson can and he does), so keep it coming, but when you want to just bash us for changing something, please think a little bit from our perspective and try to be constructive, because any moment spent in answering rage posts can be put into real effort on making things better.

Thank you for being with us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacket said:

To be honest we were a bit eager, but if you know how many months and iterations went into this build you would probably understand. We have changed so many things so many times that some of them aren't even in the project files anymore. We were just exhausted at some point and were in desperate need of real user feedback. 

 

I was one of the ones that update the app and instantly regretted the update. And now its not even possible to go back to the older version since the app store doesnt allow downgrading. Are you guys able to send me the v5 IPA / Deb file so that i manually can downgrade to v5, until all bugs and design been fixed on v6?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a big change and not everything is ok, there are bugs to fix and improvements. 

But just like in lots of major updates, iOS X to iOS X+1, windows X to windows X+1...  lots of people wants to rollback to previous, well known, and “safe” versions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jacket: thanks for sharing and explaining! (where can I apply to be a tester?) I think we can all understand.

I personally do much prefer to support a small outfit that cares much about the users than something that is coming from purely commercial (data-collecting, ad-pushing, mainstream-optimized) larger companies - even if this means having to not-enjoy my every day reading.

I think the negative feedback is also caused by people being so used to the old app and muscle-memory is totally screwed up now ;) But objectively, there are also changes necessary like "optimizing" the views.

I actually think and hope the new app will draw new users to Inoreader as it is fresher- once the app got a more intuitive feel though. At the moment, it feels like I do have to actively remember how to do what and where to find what. Objectively, the solutions / design / UX you came up with seems efficient and thought-through but working with wipes instead of buttons (which is probably what drives most people crazy) probably needs some time for people getting used to. Wipes are efficient - probably more efficient than buttons - but to me this always feels I need to be careful what I do on the screen not to accidentally "mark everything read" or something like that :) Especially if you are reading in subway, etc. where people bump into you etc.

Anyway, I do appreciate the effort (and investment) to put a new app out there - let's make it perfect together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Phattrance said:

 

I was one of the ones that update the app and instantly regretted the update. And now its not even possible to go back to the older version since the app store doesnt allow downgrading. Are you guys able to send me the v5 IPA / Deb file so that i manually can downgrade to v5, until all bugs and design been fixed on v6?

What are the bugs and design issues bugging you most? If you share, maybe the developers can address them. Going back to v5 would be nice and I feel the same but if everybody goes back to v5, waits and doesn't give feedback, v6 will never be "fixed".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jacket would it be possible to have a new-app-version-release and changelog thread in this forum? I do not get a message on my iPhone if the app is updated nor is there a particularly easy way to check the app version (I know it's nested in the settings). It seems helpful to know once there is a new version to check if the bugs are fixed, etc. It might also be useful to have a dedicated "6.0.x. release" threads to collect bugs/discussions. Might also be easier for people to follow one thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 2:16 PM, Phattrance said:

 

I was one of the ones that update the app and instantly regretted the update. And now its not even possible to go back to the older version since the app store doesnt allow downgrading. Are you guys able to send me the v5 IPA / Deb file so that i manually can downgrade to v5, until all bugs and design been fixed on v6?

Unfortunately I don't think that we will officially provide an IPA file for iOS. Some changes that we are making to APIs could render very old versions inoperable in the future and if we provide an official build for one version, then we will be stuck with old APIs and data models. We much prefer to focus on optimizing the new version for everyone.

On 4/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, maddhin said:

@Jacket: thanks for sharing and explaining! (where can I apply to be a tester?) I think we can all understand.

...

Thank you for your understanding! You can sign up for beta tests by writing to testflight AT inoreader.com.

On 4/22/2018 at 8:15 AM, maddhin said:

@Jacket would it be possible to have a new-app-version-release and changelog thread in this forum? I do not get a message on my iPhone if the app is updated nor is there a particularly easy way to check the app version (I know it's nested in the settings). It seems helpful to know once there is a new version to check if the bugs are fixed, etc. It might also be useful to have a dedicated "6.0.x. release" threads to collect bugs/discussions. Might also be easier for people to follow one thread.

I can't promise that since we are already doing it in the Testflight app and we are gathering the feedback from there. The person responsible on our end for gathering beta feedback is already overloaded, so one more channel to follow could probably lead to release delays and we'd like to be able to move fast right now.

12 hours ago, mark69 said:

@Jacket have you considered doing a structured UX usability test?

We don't have test scenarios for the testers if that's what you ask. If it's something different. please explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am referring to a formal qualitative usability evaluation where 8 to 10 existing Inoreader users are recruited, and each of them conducts a number of tasks on the platform in the presence of a usability expert. The test analysis leads to insights and recommendations for improvement (from easy, quick wins to more complex improvements). [Disclosure: I am actually leading a company that conducts these types of tests, so if you need more details I can put you in touch with our usability expert].

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2018 at 1:34 PM, Jacket said:

I can't promise that since we are already doing it in the Testflight app and we are gathering the feedback from there. The person responsible on our end for gathering beta feedback is already overloaded, so one more channel to follow could probably lead to release delays and we'd like to be able to move fast right now.

Hm. I don't think posting the changelog in a thread here will take THAT much time. Although I clearly hear you in terms of being overloaded.

But what I don't quite understand: shouldn't the TestFlight program be finished BEFORE the app is released? Why are the TestFlight users are finding so many bugs NOW? ;)

I know you are not quite saying this but should the average user now wait until the internal FlightTest program is finished before posting bugs here? I think it would be practical to also collect the bugs here and you also have a platform to comment on which bugs are acknowledged and for which you still need info or whatever. IMHO a dedicated version thread also makes it easier for the Inoreader team to monitor rather than following 7 "I dislike the new version" threads and 10 individual bug threads ;)

Anyway, just my 2 cents - I actually do not want to make a discussion out of this. Do as you see fit.

But your honest feedback is highly appreciated! I do hope you guys are getting some sleep these days and fingers crossed you squash 'em all efficiently!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the updated iOS app (with great motion design) and much prefer it to the previous version. You might have launched a bit early but I don't think it is a huge problem. Please consider our comments (if you don't have the resources for a proper usability evaluation) and try to integrate them where possible and feasible. The unread count and the "eye" symbol already address some initial problems. I am recommending Inoreader whenever I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 11:39 AM, maddhin said:

Hm. I don't think posting the changelog in a thread here will take THAT much time. Although I clearly hear you in terms of being overloaded.

But what I don't quite understand: shouldn't the TestFlight program be finished BEFORE the app is released? Why are the TestFlight users are finding so many bugs NOW? ;)

I know you are not quite saying this but should the average user now wait until the internal FlightTest program is finished before posting bugs here? I think it would be practical to also collect the bugs here and you also have a platform to comment on which bugs are acknowledged and for which you still need info or whatever. IMHO a dedicated version thread also makes it easier for the Inoreader team to monitor rather than following 7 "I dislike the new version" threads and 10 individual bug threads ;)

Anyway, just my 2 cents - I actually do not want to make a discussion out of this. Do as you see fit.

But your honest feedback is highly appreciated! I do hope you guys are getting some sleep these days and fingers crossed you squash 'em all efficiently!

 

I appreciate your feedback. We are releasing the builds when we feel they are ready. We are doing extensive TestFlight tests only for really major builds as they tend to take a lot of time and feedback is usually scarce. If we are to wait for full Test Flight tests and coordinate an external issue tracking system with all users, we will just sink into project management and you will feel it because releases will just grind to a halt. We also have apps for other platforms with their own bugs and issues and we can only focus so much on one of them. We try our best to bring you a polished product, but this doesn't mean that we have the resources for continuous professional testing teams and QA. We just do what we can internally and hope for some honest feedback during the TestFlight tests.

P.S. We just pulled the latest approved version from the App Store before it was released, because we found a minor bug that we have introduced there - dark themed Safari View on the light theme. At this point we prefer to delay the release with a day or two instead of compromising usability even a little. It's all about the specific case and we have to make the decision here and internally. It can't be coordinated with everyone or we'll stop doing what we do.

19 hours ago, mark69 said:

I do like the updated iOS app (with great motion design) and much prefer it to the previous version. You might have launched a bit early but I don't think it is a huge problem. Please consider our comments (if you don't have the resources for a proper usability evaluation) and try to integrate them where possible and feasible. The unread count and the "eye" symbol already address some initial problems. I am recommending Inoreader whenever I can.

Thank you for the feedback and your proposal. We are surely taking it into consideration. It's another step we could make in the future, but for now, check what I've said above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my gosh, what have you done with this app??

Inoreader is my go-to RSS reader, but this is horrible. I instantly regretted updating.

It's nothing to do with bugs, it's everything to do with design decisions...

  • The new font - it's like you've chosen to ignore iOS entirely. What I liked about Inoreader was that it was anonymous, generic, it let me focus on the content. This attempt to express character is bad. Why on earth would you let users change the font, but only for articles, leaving that horrible new app font reigning?
  • The new sliding drawer (how do I pin it? I want to see the folder list and items list on screen at the same time).
  • It's like it has completely forgotten all my previous folder view preferences (is there now a view missing, a list view with thumbnail? Could've sworn it had that before, it was my favourite - the other views take up too much space)
  • Suddenly changing what a swipe action on a folder means (was go to contents, now marks items as read) - frustrating.

I'm so disappointed in these decisions. They are a step change from the previous version I was using. It's like it's been rewritten entirely. And it's likely to make me use the product less.

If Inoreader on the web follows this path, I'll be disappointed.

Please consider reversing the changes. Is there any way I can downgrade to an older version??

:-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what I tried to downgrade...

  • iMazing:
    • Supports backing up of the iPhone app to desktop app.
    • But, when attempting to restore that app to iPad, it only restores the app data.
    • Cannot downgrade.
  • AnyTrans
    • Desktop app, has ability to send an app to desktop and then to another device (ie. from iPhone to iPad), but this feature, Send To Mac, is disabled on my iOS.
    • It has a feature to Send To (directly to another) Device (ie. iPhone to iPad), if both are connected to desktop., though this is actually a fallacy. When attempting to transfer Inoreader, it transferred 0/1 items.
    • Cannot downgrade.
  • Charles Proxy method, as mentioned.
    • This requires an older version of iTunes on Mac than I had. I uninstalled my latest version and installed the new version on Mac.
    • However, Apple has nobbled it from the iDevice side, too. On Mac, old iTunes reported that it would not connect to my iPad Pro as the latter needed iTunes 12-something.
    • Cannot downgrade.

Basically, I have taken a couple of hours on this now, and I can find no way of downgrading to the version of Inoreader I last enjoyed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 4:14 AM, robertandrews said:

Basically, I have taken a couple of hours on this now, and I can find no way of downgrading to the version of Inoreader I last enjoyed.

 

 

Dunno, if you ask me, I would have spent that energy on giving Inoreader productive feedback on what is really bothering you. They do care. They do listen. And in the end, you make a better expierence for everyone and everyone will be grateful for this.

The new version needs to get used to and is less intuitive but the major bugs have been ironed out over the last weeks and it probably won't kill you trying the new version again. On the iPad e.g. the new landscape mode is actually a huge step forward.

Things like font are not an non-issue anyway as you can choose your font in the options (FYI: San Francisco is the iOS font)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoah,

I just fired up Inoreader on my iPad Pro and it is the old version, 5.4.4

Things that might have caused this:

  • Updating iOS on my iPad last night.
  • My above efforts to downgrade.
  • Both?

Confused but happy for now.

This feels more familiar.

I still think you should neutralise the font selection in the latest version. Or at lease put some consistency in to it, so that, when a user changes the article-level font, it also changes at the headline level and elsewhere. Not to do this means there is a mismatch in the UI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now