robertandrews

The State of RSS

You have created the most perfect RSS reader. For those of us who pined after Google Reader, Inoreader is perhaps more than just a worthy replacement, it's better in many regards.

It is about this time of year, each year, that I resolve to more mindfully consume news, information and feeds in the year ahead, with RSS.

But, now that I endeavour to again, i am reminded of the increasingly parlous state of RSS.

Organisation that you would expect to be RSS-friendly have abandoned the format - often during site redesigns in which the format is demoted or removed, often as part of a deliberate strategy to lean in to social at RSS' expense.

This is all wrong. It doesn't lend itself to mindful, deliberate news consumption of the kind I always used to enjoy. Social is cacophonous, it is also a single, unmanageable stream comprising both friends and massive organisations.

We all know this. The question is: what can be done about it?

Many of the organisations I want to follow offer no way to do so via the channel with which I want to follow them. How can we convince them otherwise? The future of RSS readers depends on it.

Over the years, there have been several tools designed to craft RSS feeds from sites which have none. They often relied on crude, Xpath-like knowledge, and they have never scaled well, eg for those of us that want to create a large number of feeds for the increasingly-large swathe of sites that fall in to this sad category.

What are the contemporary equivalents of these services?

How do we easily get more RSS action back online?