CleverClogs

Marking up old feeds as 'archived'

When I check my subscriptions, many of them have grown stale or invalid over time, others have changed their web address or there may be some other reason a subscription is no longer collecting new feed items. Inoreader typically marks these subscriptions in red, more or less nudging a user to take some form of action. In many cases I don't actually want to delete a subscription, simply because the old items are still valulable. I use Inoreader increasingly as a goldmine to find articles in other people's subscriptions. For that purpose, it's not necessarily critical whether these subscriptions currently still collect new data.  So I think this type of feed should not be removed from the Inoreader indexes.

I would like to propose a new feature that allows users to assign a personal property to these feeds to indicate that we want to keep that subscription for archiving and search mining purposes. Its color could then change to a shade of grey or some other distinct color.

Or are there better solutions to deal with this? Your thoughts are most welcome!

59a3c28a5bd14_Snagged2017-08-28-09_12_38.png.f4af0246b3edf365c943407623cf7bec.png

The suggestion has been added in our to-do list for consideration. 

But we need to decide what will happen for such feeds (already archived) if the feed start updating again (there are many failing feeds for a limited period of time for multiple reasons).

Any additional thoughts about this will be highly appreciated. 

If a feed that has been invalid or stale for a while all of a sudden starts to produce content again, this in itself can be highly relevant information for a news curator. I'd definitely appreciate it to be notified of events like this, for example with a notification message: "Feed xyz has woken up from hibernation" - or something of that kind. 

Some bloggers (myself included) are very irregular publishers. In the happy event of your favorite blogger all of a sudden starting to write again, that could be the time to take some action: share the post on social media, thank the blogger, you name it. 

Same goes for monitoring blogs from tech start-ups, who sometimes take 3 months or more between posts. A revival can mean a significant update to their product.

You can probably think of other practical use cases too. 

@RSSCircus Do you want to weigh in on this conversation?