werewolf

Search doesn't work properly

What is wrong with the search function?  It is barely functional.  I type in "Amazon" and it returns everything with Amazon in the title, and a couple with "Amazon's" in the title, but not all the ones with "Amazon's" in the title.  

Or I type in "Amazon" and get X results, type in "price" and get Y results, type in "Amazon || price" (as suggested in these forums) and get fewer results than X + Y, IF I get any results at all, often I don't.

This crap plus only getting 1 rule with paid service makes me not want to get the service.  

I don't care about most of the crap that the paid service provides, I just want ad free, rules, and a search feature that actually works.  I feel like a lot of people are in the same camp.  

We don't have any known issues with the search engine. 

Are you able to provide us some examples with these issues? Are you sure that there are missing articles? 

Also, as soon as you are using advanced syntax, I'm strongly suggesting you to use quotes for terms like "Amazon's" in order to be sure that the search engine will search for the exact phrase. But even without quotes, i can't simulate similar issues here...

But also, I'm not sure that you'll cooperate here in order to help you fixing your issues considering the "crap" things ;) 

I'll totally cooperate.  Aside from that stuff I like the service, and am willing to pay (even though 3-5 rules rather than 1 with the basic would really clinch it).  I like the layout and the app is nice for when I'm not by a computer.  

Not sure what you need for examples though?  Like a specific feed address?  I'm searching across my entire subscription base, but think I can provide a few links where most of the results would come from if that is what you want.  

Yeah I just tested it on my current feeds:

"Amazon's" || Amazon = 148 articles in the last month, the latest being 23 hours ago

"Amazon's" = 213 articles in the last month, the latest being 2 hours ago

Amazon = 310 articles in the last month, the latest being 16 hours ago

I'm very glad to hear this. 

In order to make the test more accurate, could you please send me (as PM of course in order to protect your privacy) your subscriptions (export them from the Preferences->Import/Export)  in order to add them here in a test account and initiate the tests. 

Also, reading your observations, are you sure that you are using "advanced syntax" for your searches?

On 8/23/2017 at 9:03 AM, werewolf said:

I'll totally cooperate.  Aside from that stuff I like the service, and am willing to pay (even though 3-5 rules rather than 1 with the basic would really clinch it).  I like the layout and the app is nice for when I'm not by a computer.  

Not sure what you need for examples though?  Like a specific feed address?  I'm searching across my entire subscription base, but think I can provide a few links where most of the results would come from if that is what you want.  

Yeah I just tested it on my current feeds:

"Amazon's" || Amazon = 148 articles in the last month, the latest being 23 hours ago

"Amazon's" = 213 articles in the last month, the latest being 2 hours ago

Amazon = 310 articles in the last month, the latest being 16 hours ago

So, I recently purchased the Professional version of this product and with expectation of using this search feature and based on this example is this meant to convey it works on one word only?  I agree with the original post made on this thread.  I am unable to get the Advanced Syntax working and I've been in IT for 20 years.  

A very simple example is "the future of"

I need this product to return that set of words in that precise order.  

I've tried ("the future of") 

the future of

"the future of"

(the AND future AND of) AND "technology"

("the AND future AND of") AND "technology"

The closest I've achieved is

(the AND future AND of) AND technology

The end goal is a RSS Feed based on that criteria to IFTTT to LinkedIn.

I get anything from 

1. just the word future (highlighted) and sometimes with technology but never with the initial phrase.

I take issue with this when I know that and a few other very precise worded statements are listed on BufferApp Blog where BuzzSumo analyzed 10 million articles.

Top of the list, and by overwelming majority

• Industry trends and news: “the future of”, “in the world”, and “of the year”
  • How-to articles: “X ways to”, “how to get”, and “how to make”

There must be some syntax associated with this supposed new search engine and the ability to perform a search against existing feeds or articles or all feeds and it only return those specific phrases in that precise order.

Even the "Match full phrase" doesn't work.

Close enough is not good enough and that is not the only issue.  I have article age set for Today.  I'm getting articles from 2017.  

This article with the syntax is incorrect:

There is a response that states that it is not Regex but doesn't state what it is at all.  There is no blue line or anything and these expressions listed don't work.  They bring up articles that have one or all the words or sometimes future and technology only and with the expression provided makes no sense.

Thing is, I paid for Professional to have the ability to use advanced search to provide real time information to multiple downstream scenarios using IFTTT.

I've spent half a day already just on this so if there is something I missed please share because I've search "all content" on this site and keep getting the same outdated articles.

Here is an example output.  And notice the words highlighted.  It never highlights the other words in the phrase?  Only and technology.

Even where it does actually state "the future of" it doesn't highlight all three words which just seems odd.

And that is regardless of syntax used.

I provided a screen shot (PDF) of my screen.  I simply do not want this information.  I want "the future of" AND "technology"

When I use that syntax, I get the other attached document.  All the words are highlighted but it highlights too every "the" and "of" and I get the disaster of information in PDF 2. 

2018-02-10_13-09-50.pdf

PDF-2-2018-02-10_13-16-02.pdf

I think I'll have to agree, the search interface looks quite primitive to me too and work needs to be done,

both in terms of functionality and in terms of design,

e.g. when I have entered my search term and pressed enter,

the side bar should disappear because it falls in front of the results..

On 2/10/2018 at 9:16 PM, Brian Murphy said:

Here is an example output.  And notice the words highlighted.  It never highlights the other words in the phrase?  Only and technology.

Even where it does actually state "the future of" it doesn't highlight all three words which just seems odd.

And that is regardless of syntax used.

I provided a screen shot (PDF) of my screen.  I simply do not want this information.  I want "the future of" AND "technology"

When I use that syntax, I get the other attached document.  All the words are highlighted but it highlights too every "the" and "of" and I get the disaster of information in PDF 2. 

2018-02-10_13-09-50.pdf

PDF-2-2018-02-10_13-16-02.pdf

First of all sorry about the delayed response. 

We've made some optimisations/upgrades for the search engine and databases in the past days. That's why we delay the response here. 

But now we don't have any known issues with the search engine or databases and everything should be back to normal now (even better). 

Please note that there is distraction when searching phrases and we are already aware with it. It's highlighting fragments, except the search terms it highlights and the OR's (if you are using OR operator) and the separate fragments (words) from the search term if they appear multiple times but this doesn't mean that the search engine really matched them. It’s just a highlighting issue.

So, are you receiving wrong results (matched articles) when searching? Instead the highlighting issues.  Similar threads here and here.

We are using Elasticsearch for the search engine actually.   

Well, I've tried several scenarios and it does not appear to be working for me.  I will read up on the type of search, Elasticsearch.  

For now, I've narrowed it down to a single goal where the following words exist in the exact order.  Regardless of highlighting it returns some results with zero match but then highlights one of the words, like "the"

"the future of technology"

If I do a search as typed above and set criteria for "Advanced" and "Today" there are 6 items found. (See picture).  One of the six, has the exact phrase in the title.  I opened the other 5 and none of the remaining had the phrase.  They had the word "the".

My preference is to have the phrase in the title but I'm starting with basics.   All the RSS feeds are carefully selected and some are created using Google Alerts and Google Finance.  Notice when I changed the Advanced Criteria from "Today" to "All Time" it becomes 17,606 and all over the place.  Exhibit B attached.

I read the link you sent, much appreciated, and noticed another link that is closer to what I need

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/query-dsl-match-query-phrase.html

So, I doubt this will work as-is with copy paste so I'm downloading ElasticSearch MSI and going to see if I can come up with a one liner that gives me the basic result.  

Just a suggestion or for the suggestion box the search ability is important part of my use-case and so it seems like it would be useful if there were a code box to use the Elastic Search syntax or access to the API remote being the MSI uses localhosts.  

At least now I know the API making it much easier and more robust

https://www.elastic.co/downloads/elasticsearch

This is going to require learning all the components.

EXHIBIT-1-2018-03-03_16-01-22.png

EXHIBIT-2-2018-03-03_16-25-10.png

Tried "Match Full Phrase" as well (attached).

Setup some of the components for the Elastic Search on a Linux VM but not understanding how it translates to a "phrase" I can use in the upper left hand corner?

2018-03-03_20-50-26matchfullphrase.png

Thanks for the comprehensive response regarding your issue. 

Reading it, i'm suspecting that you  are still misled by the highlighting of the matched results...

I've just tested with "the future of technology" and all matched results (I'm searching in all public feeds and seeing results from this week) have the exact search term inside their content. Yes, its not in their titles but inside them but this is how you have the search set for you (in the search filters). 

So please, carefully check the matched articles about your search term and you'll find what I'm talking about. 

On 2/19/2018 at 2:13 AM, wesson said:

First of all sorry about the delayed response. 

We've made some optimisations/upgrades for the search engine and databases in the past days. That's why we delay the response here. 

But now we don't have any known issues with the search engine or databases and everything should be back to normal now (even better). 

Please note that there is distraction when searching phrases and we are already aware with it. It's highlighting fragments, except the search terms it highlights and the OR's (if you are using OR operator) and the separate fragments (words) from the search term if they appear multiple times but this doesn't mean that the search engine really matched them. It’s just a highlighting issue.

So, are you receiving wrong results (matched articles) when searching? Instead the highlighting issues.  Similar threads here and here.

We are using Elasticsearch for the search engine actually.   

I gave up on this for a bit due to time constraints but really want to get this working so now that I have some time I've been reading up on ElasticSearch, YouTube Videos, and surprised to find very good books on my safaribooksonline.com.  However, a couple of questions come to mind right now I think will help focus my research.

1. What version of Elasticsearch?   I ask for the same reason as anything in IT where I want to avoid using Syntax removed or changed from 4x to 5x and so forth.

A lot of the books on Safari written for Elasticsearch 5x as are the Video's on Safari (the Safari videos usually much better than YouTube).

One example, video (2018):  ElasticSearch, LogStash, Kibana ELK #1 - Learn ElasticSearch

by TetraTutorials Team, Manuj Aggarwal
Publisher: Packt Publishing
Release Date: January 2018
ISBN: 9781788999816
Running time: 3:18:44

I prefer not to watch the full 3 hours and so I think my focus would be on Chapter 2 which focuses on

Introduction to ElasticSearch, ElasticSearch as a distributed framework, ElasticSearch features, ElasticSearch terminology

My current attempts at "Search" combined with IFTTT and Buffer have resulted in posts to LinkedIn that I had to subsequently remove.  

Part of that is due to my inability to get this prior reference

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/query-dsl-match-query-phrase.html

Working.  The search field doesn't allow a copy and paste of the examples on that website.  

curl -XGET 'localhost:9200/_search?pretty' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -d'
{
    "query": {
        "match_phrase" : {
            "Citrix" : "this is a test"
        }
    }
}
'

A couple of books I'm considering reading are listed below and so I'm looking for basically a "yay" or "nay" that I'm not wasting what little time I have.  These books all reference version 5x.  The reason I purchased InoReader was the ability to aggregate RSS feeds from relative sources and using Google Alerts to RSS for refined alerts to InoReader.  Ideally using the Search tool create an output that I can send to Buffer then Buffer post on LinkedIn using IFTTT applets I've created for this purpose.

And frankly, I'm interested to learn more about ElasticSearch now that I've started reading about it and possibly use it for other purposes that are unknown to me at the moment.  

Mastering Elasticsearch 5.x - Third Edition
by Bharvi Dixit
Published: February 2017

Learning Elasticsearch
by Abhishek Andhavarapu
Published: June 2017

Mastering Elasticsearch 5.x - Third Edition
by Bharvi Dixit
Published: February 2017