ono

Remappable keyboard shortcuts (or improved Columns View controls)?

Is there something like this planned? I've been using Inoreader for a while now but still sometimes feel that the keyboard shortcuts are kind of unintuitive. It might be a different case on other views but I'm using the Columns View. As an example:

In columns view, you can navigate the article list using the left, right which also opens the article on the rightmost column. The up and down key though also navigates the article list but without opening the articles. I maybe alone in feeling this but I feel like it's such a waste of keyboard bindings. In expanded view, up and down keys lets you free go up and down articles. It would be nice if the up and down keys were mapped to do the same for the opened article in columns view.

Another is the PageDown and PageUp keys which currently isn't mapped to anything special as far as I know but would be great for traversing tree elements instead of shift+j or shift+k.

Of course these are just feelings and there's no real problem on Inoreader as it works nicely as far as I'm concerned. Still it would be nice if I didn't have to reach for the other side of the keyboard when reading articles.

Hello, 

I'm not sure that I'm understanding you properly but are you aware with all possible shortcuts?

Did you try using the "j","k" for the first? 

About the second (PageUp/Down) The thing is that no more shortcuts left, without affecting browser or other functions :). 

+1

I'm also using the columne view on PC and was just about to request the same thing: it is great to navigate with the cursors through the article overview. And it is easy to load the full article with W - so far so good. But once the article is loaded, one has to switch to the mouse. Especially on the laptop this is really annoying as there is no mouse wheel and one need to find that little arrow on the bottom to scoll down by using the left mouse button. This always feels like a big disruption in the process.

Having buttons to scroll would be a huge improvement.

Naturally, cursor buttons would be ideal. left/right for past/next article and up/down for scrolling. That would make it super efficient.

One idea: maybe one workaround could be working with the numpad? Wouldn't that bring another input not distrubing the cursors? Or something like shift + cursor up/down?

Thanks a lot!

PS/FYI: I just check for the Firefox shortcuts for scrolling - they (and other browsers) implemented scrolling via page up/down and e.g. space etc.

So - in case other people have this idea - these "external solutions" doesn't work with Inoreader.

SO, the solution actually needs to come from within Inoreader as it looks.

just a follow up on this:

if I read in magazine view and open an article, I can use the cursor to scroll up and down (in Firefox) - I don't see a compelling reason by this function shouldn't work in the columne view.

It might seem like a small thing but in terms of usability, it makes all the difference.

Thanks!

Just to bring this out of the depth of the threads again. Any solution is sight yet?

Why can't the cursor up/down keys be mapped for scrolling up/down in the column view like it works in the other views? At the moment I can use "j", "n", "space", "cursor right" AND "cursor down" to go to the next article. 5 shortcuts for (almost) the same - no wonder there are no shortcuts left for scrolling ;);):)

But seriously, it's really annoying - especially on a laptop - to switch back and forth between keyboard and trackpad and fiddle the way to the little down arrow just to scroll down a bit. Curser up/down should be/stay native behavior in the browser.

If it is too complicated to change the global shortcut settings, any chance there could be a "use columne view shortcut mapping" as a option?

Many thanks for the consideration.

I would like to add another vote for customization of keyboard shortcuts. When using Gmail, I routinely use '[' and ']' to mark messages as read and move to the next message. I find it jarring to have to switch to 'j' and 'k' for this behavior. If the square brackets could be added as a synonym for j/k, that would be sufficient for me.

There are chrome extensions (and as such, Firefox addons) that can help. I like Surfingkeys. I key into the article frame and use ‘d’ and ‘u’ to scroll. Breaks all other site shortcuts, though, unless you define a settings file to omit certain keys. 

On 3.1.2018 at 5:12 AM, jared.bidlow said:

There are chrome extensions (and as such, Firefox addons) that can help. I like Surfingkeys. I key into the article frame and use ‘d’ and ‘u’ to scroll. Breaks all other site shortcuts, though, unless you define a settings file to omit certain keys. 

Does anybody has something like this successfully implemented on Firefox 58? I used "Shortkeys" which does not seem to work (u/d continue to un/dock the sidebar). Cheers!

Just as an idea: wouldn't it be great if Inoreader would allow to custom-define two keys? Then all the "nerds" can define whatever they want in those two keys.

I still think scrolling the articel up/down in column view is everything but nerdy but, hey, if it helps calling me a super nerd...

Okay so it me took almost a year to get back but to anyone still interested in this thread, I've been using this userscript: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/898-inoreader-key-customize

If you're on Firefox, install Greasemonkey or if on Chrome, Tampermonkey. After installing it, install that user script. Go to your Inoreader Dashboard and press ctrl+shift+/ to bring out the script's settings. Or if not, press Inoreader's cog on the top right and you should see a Key Customize Settings there.

The userscript's description says it doesn't take symbols (aside from some), arrows, numpad keys though so you'll have to use something else. If you know Japanese, there's a bit more in the description on disabling certain keys, I think. For me since I can't map it on the arrows, I used WSAD instead. Here's how I set up mine:

Navigation Tab
Previous Article
= a
Next Article = d
Previous (Tree) Item = W (Shift+w)
Next (Tree) Item = S (Shift+s)

Items Tab
Embed Full Article = q (actually default so no need to overwrite this)
Load from Readability = e

Scroll Tab
Scroll Page Up
= w
Scroll Page Down = s

Others Tab
Scroll Duration = 150
PageUp/PageDown = 500

The "Scroll Page Up" and "Scroll Page Down" bit is basically what I wanted in my original post. Now I can browse the lists with a/d, scroll the article with w/s, move around the tree items with W/S, like an article with F, load the original article with q or mobile with e. I exclusively use the columns view so it might not work at all on other views. I never tested.

With these key bindings, I've been using Inoreader with just my left hand (when I'm only using the keyboard). I've read that there's still no plan to do custom keybindings but I hope it's still in consideration. 60-ish keyboard shortcuts is nice and all but I wish they could be utilized better. I'd take comfortable keybindings any day over mnemonic ones but that's just me.

Anyway, thanks all! I hope these helps someone.

PS. when you reload inoreader, you'll have to open the key customize settings again. You'll see that it's empty and your settings are gone. CLICK ON CANCEL. DON'T CLICK ON OK or that emptiness will be saved. Then open it again. Your settings will be back for whatever reason. Click on Cancel again to close it. You'll have to do this everytime your inoreader tab reloads. After that it should work until your next reload.

@ono OH.  MY.  GOD.  You are my hero! 🤩

I just tested it for 2 seconds but I love it already (using a & s to go up and down)! That's what Inoreader has been missing for me for years! Just reading the news without that annoying fumbling with the mouse to hit that tiny down arrow!

THANK YOU!

23 hours ago, ono said:

PS. when you reload inoreader, you'll have to open the key customize settings again. You'll see that it's empty and your settings are gone. CLICK ON CANCEL. DON'T CLICK ON OK or that emptiness will be saved. Then open it again. Your settings will be back for whatever reason. Click on Cancel again to close it. You'll have to do this everytime your inoreader tab reloads. After that it should work until your next reload.

Well, this sounds a bit tedious / experimental but what is fumbling one little thing once a day compared to fumbling with every article you want to read!!

Thanks again!