chrisd

Inoreader News+ extension: Problems with read items sync

Longtime paid user of Inoreader here. I use the Inoreader web interface (desktop) and the News+ app on Android with the Inoreader extension (which in turn uses the Inoreader third-party API).

The Android setup with Inoreader through News+ has worked reliably for years. However, as of around December 1, 2015 I'm experiencing sporadic sync issues when syncing changes made in News+ up to the Inoreader web interface. Here's what's happening:

• Read several articles in News+, or "Mark all as read" in a feed
  • Perform a "sync" in News+ to make sure the Inoreader server is notified of read items
  • View the Inoreader web interface
  • Expected result: The items I read in News+ are marked "read" in the Inoreader web interface
  • Actual result: The items read in News+ still show "unread" in the web interface

I am a daily user of News+ and Inoreader for years and I'm inclined to suspect a problem on the Inoreader API side rather than News+. I say that because the News+ app has not been updated in months, the News+ Inoreader extension is unchanged in years, and there are no other recent changes to my device or Android version. Essentially, all other code involved is unchanged and has worked consistently for months or years up to this point.

Mods/Inoreader staff: Any recent changes to the API, platform or availability issues that would be causing trouble here? I've noticed the issue multiple times over the past several days, which suggests more than a one-off glitch.

Thanks for a great service.

Hello, 

Thank you for the feedback.

In fact we didn't changed anything in the API related to this behavior lately and also we didn't manage to simulate such issue here with news+.

Are you able to simulate this behavior every time? Maybe you should address it (if you are still reproducing it)to thr news+ developer too.

Thanks for the replies. I took a closer look and noticed that the News+ cache folder on my phone had grown very large (2GB+). I cleared cache in the app (also had to delete one of the cache subfolders with a file explorer app, which the app didn't clear) and since then it seems to be behaving normally. I'm hoping that was the problem.

Yes, it does appear that News+ has been abandoned. Fortunately the app itself does not appear to rely on any News+ servers to function, so it should continue to work indefinitely (obviously without any new features or bugfixes). I'll have to check out the competition one of these days, though News+ has been excellent for my needs apart from occasional blips like this.

I'm trying both and noticed that news+ has issues with server syncs,
which wasn't the case with greader I was using before,
i.e. article is not marked as read (on the server) when scrolling over it  (as happens on greader),
"mark above as read" option isn't working as well,
I refresh my browser and these articles as still there!!

on the other hand though,
inoreader native app consumes more mobile data and battery

2 hours ago, patrickdrd said:

I'm trying both and noticed that news+ has issues with server syncs,
which wasn't the case with greader I was using before,
i.e. article is not marked as read (on the server) when scrolling over it  (as happens on greader),
"mark above as read" option isn't working as well,
I refresh my browser and these articles as still there!!

on the other hand though,
inoreader native app consumes more mobile data and battery

Hello. News+ is an abandoned project, you shouldn't use it, it's not reliable. Look at my previous messages

In my opinion, it should be removed from Google Play Store.

abandoned or not, it's working as it should, I think it's smoother than the native app

news+ looks like a finished project to me (using the experience these guys got after releasing greader),
while the native app seems that it is an ongoing/under development, newly born project,
that needs work to be done in order to work this way