Jacket

Android client

On 4/29/2016 at 5:03 AM, Maxim Mozgovoy said:

One thing that I don't understand (or cannot find this functionality) is why an article summary HAS to be opened in a separate window. If I don't want to read further, should I click back? In a mobile Inoreader website version when you click a headline, the summary opens RIGHT HERE under the headline, so you can simply scroll further.

What the application lacks is very basic customization. The current List/Magazine/Card layouts are just slightly different interfaces over the same use scenario: read a headline, click for the summary, click again for the full article or click back.

What would be really good is to: (1) optionally ALWAYS show the summaries along the headlines; (2) optionally open the summary IN PLACE, not in a separate window.

Some RSS feeds I read actually consist of summaries only with some attached files (like an MP3 podcast with a textual description).

Actually it always worked like that.

We'll consider your suggestions but there are too many use cases and opinions, so i can't promise anything at this stage. 

On 5/2/2016 at 6:02 AM, SteveCr48 said:

The new Android phone app is totally awesome!! 

I'm curious if you are working on the tablet version to bring feature parity with the iPad app? Specifically, the option to display the subscription column while viewing articles in the feed. 

I'm unable to view feeds and articles at the same time. Thanks!!!

To be honest its not in our short term tasks. But its still in the to-do list. 

On Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 7:50 PM, wesson said:

Actually it always worked like that

Err... do you mean it worked like that, but does not work anymore?..

On Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 7:50 PM, wesson said:

We'll consider your suggestions but there are too many use cases and opinions

Exactly, that's why I wonder why there are NO customizations at all when it comes to the actual content (not just some makeup like color themes or card/list/whatever 'views').

I am not trying to convince anyone, but please consider some of the bare facts that have nothing to deal with my personal preferences:

- Usability is lower then the users need more clicks to get what they want.

- There are numerous RSS feeds that provide sufficient short summaries inside "description" tags.

- There are numerous RSS feeds that consist of a VERY short summary and a file attached.

- Currently to read even a one-line summary and see attachments, you have to click, then click back. To read a full article, you have to click twice, then click back twice.

So regardless of anyone's preferences there are more clicks required than it should be (even comparing to the mobile inoreader version).

I understand that some things are harder to achieve like full in-place article display. But is seems just weird that it is impossible to turn on (permanently) the display of description tag content along with file attachments.

On 5/7/2016 at 0:21 AM, Maxim Mozgovoy said:

Err... do you mean it worked like that, but does not work anymore?..

No, i meant that this behavior has never been changed and it still works that way. Sorry if i didn't express myself properly. 

4 hours ago, wesson said:

No, i meant that this behavior has never been changed and it still works that way. Sorry if i didn't express myself properly. 

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but in the "List view" I only get titles, while in the other (Card/Magazine) views there are some short extracts from the description tags, chopped somewhere in the middle.

OK. It looks like we are talking about different things.

I was referring about this (about the use case scenario):

On 4/29/2016 at 5:03 AM, Maxim Mozgovoy said:

What the application lacks is very basic customization. The current List/Magazine/Card layouts are just slightly different interfaces over the same use scenario: read a headline, click for the summary, click again for the full article or click back.

Thought i should mention this, i've been having some sync issues with the Android app. Just a few minutes ago, i tried multiple times to mark a folder as read. The folder was marked as read and after a few seconds reappeared with all the previously read items as unread. This has been happening randomly during the past few days.

I double checked that the folder remains unread using the web version.

On 13/5/2016 at 3:49 PM, DJDB said:

Thought i should mention this, i've been having some sync issues with the Android app. Just a few minutes ago, i tried multiple times to mark a folder as read. The folder was marked as read and after a few seconds reappeared with all the previously read items as unread. This has been happening randomly during the past few days.

I double checked that the folder remains unread using the web version.

This has been happening more and more lately. It's the only bug i'm facing right now and it's making the app a bit unreliable. Folders are marked manually as read and then immediately reappear as unread. Like the app is not able to mark items as read on the server and is syncing them back as unread.

Unfortunately, i can't pinpoint a specific pattern that generates this behavior. It is quite random. I'm using Newest first and Unread only. Maybe because i have Inoreader open on my PC and at the same time i'm using the Android app? Maybe it's a bug with marking as read while scrolling? I don't know. I can't be sure. It happens when using the mark as read button and when long pressing an α folder and marking it as read. If a folder gets "stuck" and i can't mark it as read, i can fix the problem by restarting the app. I think that it also messes the web version, where previously read items reappear as unread.

If i can help in any way with this issue please let me know. I'm using a Nexus 7 2013 with Android 6.0.1.

Thank you for the comprehensive report. 

Unfortunately we never managed to simulate similar behavior here...

We'll take your use-case in mind and continue trying to simulate it. 

In fact what is the internet connection that you are using when you are facing this behavior? Are you using the app on phone device and if yes did you faced this behavior there?

I've experienced the same issues as DJDB, but not recently.  I've had both individual entries and entire folders that have been marked as read revert to unread status, sometimes over and over and over, on both desktop and Android.

Seems like the issue cleared itself up after giving up for several hours.

Hi!

With the Feedly app, it is (or it was i don't know) it is possible to "mark as read" the visible article in the list view and only them (so neither all the above articles nor all the below articles).  Do yo think you will implement such a feature someday (maybe as a sub action of the FAB button, with "mark all above as read" and "mark all below as read,", for example)

I think it is very useful with a mobile app when you have a lot of unread article because " mark all above as read" is too much (and not what I want to do) and swipe each article to mark it as read can be long and tedious..

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Thanks in advance,

Julien

I see a lot of small bugfixes and improvements the last couple of updates. Great!

Would it be possible to also fix the 'back-button = menu' to 'back-button = minimize/close app' like all other Android apps?

2 hours ago, Jacket said:

Hello,

This is actually a feature, so it can't be fixed. There are reasons for this behavior that become apparent only when you use the app for a while without it.

Would like to try out how apparent that would get :)

I never need the menu... If I need it, I can always press the "hamburger".

Could it become a setting?

Tried Inoreader again, looks like the latest Android version is quite solid (at least it doesn't crash constantly on my Tablet anymore!)

The only thing missing I'd say is the ability to set the views per feed, rather than application wide. Personally, I find newest first works great for almost all feeds, but oldest first works best for things like comics, and it absolutely annoying having to constantly adjust the views. This is the one thing Feedly's Android client does better than Inoreader's Android client. At least your web client maintains view settings per feed though, would be nice to add it to your Android client, so I know you guys know how to do it!

On 6/11/2016 at 9:15 PM, Burrito said:

\The only thing missing I'd say is the ability to set the views per feed, rather than application wide. Personally, I find newest first works great for almost all feeds, but oldest first works best for things like comics, and it absolutely annoying having to constantly adjust the views. This is the one thing Feedly's Android client does better than Inoreader's Android client. At least your web client maintains view settings per feed though, would be nice to add it to your Android client, so I know you guys know how to do it!

So no comment on this? :?