Chimel

Localizability Issues

53 posts in this topic

Template update: 2013-05-23

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:87     135  See what other users say about
Is the string appended with "InoReader"? Concatenations do not work well in localization.

Can a placeholder be used after "about" instead, like "See what other users say about %s"?

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:98     165  Login directly with your <b>Facebook</b> or <b>Google Account</b> and import your Google Reader subscriptions, starred and shared items
Probably move " Account" behind the "" tag.

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:105    209  Read securely via
Apparently concatenated strings, can a placeholder such as " %s" be appended?

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:2260  2113  Not happy
I localized it as "Disappointed", a bit less negative.

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:2263  2117  THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE
Please uncapitalize, it prevents recycling and some languages don't even have capitals.

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:3028  2293  Not keping filter applied when switching subscriptions
Typo in "keping"

Resource        Line  Textreader.php:144   508  More search tips in the help secition
Typo in "secition"

Resource        Line  Textindex.php:901    861  The full article contents will be sent with the Email
"via email", "in the email" (uncapitalized)? Not sure what it means, which context.

Might want to remove "full" anyway, as some feeds do not contain the full article, just the beginning of it, and a link for the rest, to force users to visit their site, Ars Technica for instance.

Resource        Line  Textindex.php:1256  1060  Use this feature to automaticaly receive new articles fromindex.php:1256  1066  on the selected servicesindex.php:1264  1071  Push new articles toindex.php:1275  1071  Push new articles toindex.php:1286  1071  Push new articles to
Please use placeholders such as "%s" to form full localizable sentences.

Resource        Line  Textindex.php:5114  2733  Import finished in
Maybe "completed" would be more standard, and add a placeholder "%s" for the duration.

Can you also make use of the /// localizability comments feature when the context is not clear?

See wiki for examples and xgettext syntax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettext#Programming

These comments will appear as "Notes for translators" in poedit. Supposedly. ;)

Dominixa and Maxsst like this

I will try to answer you straight for your translation issues. I know my strings are far from perfect, but how can I change them now... It would mean to repair every translation...

Look for the bold texts

Template update: 2013-05-23

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:87     135  See what other users say about
Is the string appended with "InoReader"? Concatenations do not work well in localization.

Can a placeholder be used after "about" instead, like "See what other users say about %s"?

Yes, It's InoReader. The name is a defined constant.

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:98     165  Login directly with your <b>Facebook</b> or <b>Google Account</b> and import your Google Reader subscriptions, starred and shared items
Probably move " Account" behind the "" tag.

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:105    209  Read securely via
Apparently concatenated strings, can a placeholder such as " %s" be appended?

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:2260  2113  Not happy
I localized it as "Disappointed", a bit less negative.

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:2263  2117  THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE
Please uncapitalize, it prevents recycling and some languages don't even have capitals.

Fixed in the test version, I will push it to beta soon.

Resource        Line  Textlogin.php:3028  2293  Not keping filter applied when switching subscriptions
Typo in "keping"

Resource        Line  Textreader.php:144   508  More search tips in the help secition
Typo in "secition"

Resource        Line  Textindex.php:901    861  The full article contents will be sent with the Email
"via email", "in the email" (uncapitalized)? Not sure what it means, which context.

Might want to remove "full" anyway, as some feeds do not contain the full article, just the beginning of it, and a link for the rest, to force users to visit their site, Ars Technica for instance.

This is from the Share by email dialog. I'm not sure if it will be a good idea to change it at this point, because this will break the other translations...

Resource        Line  Textindex.php:1256  1060  Use this feature to automaticaly receive new articles fromindex.php:1256  1066  on the selected servicesindex.php:1264  1071  Push new articles toindex.php:1275  1071  Push new articles toindex.php:1286  1071  Push new articles to
Please use placeholders such as "%s" to form full localizable sentences.

Resource        Line  Textindex.php:5114  2733  Import finished in
Maybe "completed" would be more standard, and add a placeholder "%s" for the duration.

Can you also make use of the /// localizability comments feature when the context is not clear?

See wiki for examples and xgettext syntax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettext#Programming

These comments will appear as "Notes for translators" in poedit. Supposedly. ;)

At first I was adding comments in the POT file wherever I though similar questions will pop, but lately I just can't find time for this :(. I need to find some time to update the comments, but I don't know when. Just this post took me about an hour to write, because in the weekends I cannot find even 3 free minutes without being disturbed and I really want to spend those in some coding (Tags are almost there...)

About the placeholders I only use them in plural forms, because I really hate sprintf()...

Thanks for the answers. No urgency anyway, the coding is more important.

Move over to the States, it's a long Memorial Day week-end, more time to code! ;)

Do NOT hesitate to change the English text even if it breaks the translations:

1) Some of these resources are not localizable anyway, like the first one with the "InoReader" concatenation that cannot be appended to the end of the sentence for languages such as German. So the current translation either does not exist yet or must be very awkward and unnatural, and a new resource would be much better.

2) If you change only a few words, like adding " %s" at the end, Poedit will automatically recycle the previous translation as a "fuzzy match", so nothing is lost and all that the localizer needs to do is to add " %s" to the previous translation.

3) I think just giving you feedback is not the best way for you to learn about other languages' localization issues. Implementing the feedback in the existing resources will be the best way to ensure future resources match best localization practices. After a while, you'll get it right and the amount of localizability issues should be minimal.

I have a few more localizability issues to submit for the new and updated resources since the first French PO file was localized. I'll enter them in this forum, but a real bug management system would be easier for all parties involved eventually. For now, we can maybe prefix "Fixed: " to all bug threads that have been addressed in full.

As bad as sprintf() may be, placeholders are a necessary "evil" (read "best practice") of localization. Each language has its different rules for gender, singular/plural, word ordering, etc. Even placeholders such as "%s" will not cut it if you need more than one placeholder per resource, they'd need to be reorderable placeholders for localization, such as "%1", "%2", not "%s", "%d" which could break the software are runtime.

Since you mentioned plural forms, I don't remember exactly how to code it, but there are ways to create twin resources such as "This folder contains 1 article" and "This folder contains %d articles" so that they appear as a single resource in Poedit, but split in 2 separate subresources with a separate edit box for each translation. And some languages even have dual forms for "This folder contains 2 articles", hehe... ;)

I'll have the French PO file fully translated next week, will you be able to include localization in your regular builds, maybe with a regular schedule so we can check how the translations look in context? Again, no urgency, you are way ahead of the Diggs competition anyway, they haven't published a single build yet, let alone a localized one. (I don't even consider the other existing RSS readers as competition. ;)

Can all instances of "Connection" be replaced by "Contact" or something?

It is very confusing to have persons named the same way as things, such as network connections.

I assume every "connection" in InoReader actually means "contact" and will localize as such, with the risk that some instances may refer to network connections. There is no way to know the context when translating. If you keep "connection" by default, please add a dev comment when you actually mean network connection to clarify the context.

Similarly, how can this resource exist? "You don't have any unread articles in your broadcasts"

Does it mean that the user sent articles to his contacts that he didn't even read? I am confused. How is that possible, or tolerated? That practice would be even worse than spam, even spammers know (have read) the spam they are sending.

Yordan my man, please stop hard-coding punctuation at the end of the sentences ASAP: Punctuation IS localizable, and is also a good indication of context if you reserve the sentences without full stop or dot to resources like button texts or bullet points.

Don't hesitate to change the resources, because they will be automatically recycled anyway, so the translators only have to add the localized punctuation equivalent. Since it takes some coding effort to remove the hard-coded punctuation, you can do it section by section if it makes it easier.

Right now, it is impossible for the localizer to tell if the sentences will be terminated by a dot, exclamation or question mark, colon or semi-colon, all of which are localizable. For instance, by inserting an unbreakable space on the 4 latter marks for French. I am adding some unbreakable spaces at the end of some sentences blindly. Some languages like Chinese don't even have English dots, or don't use exclamation marks, or need to know if the sentence is exclamative or interrogative to add the corresponding ¡ or ¿ inverted mark at the beginning of the sentence.

OK, good remarks. Especially for Chinese I didn't know they don't have full stops and I can say I have quite a lot of Chinese users. Also the translators seems to be very good, because they keep up with updates very fast. No one complained...

I will try to remake those translations, but it will really be a big effort. I should synchronize with all translators to make the changes in the beta, because otherwise the application will become instantly non-localized to any language.

About the "Connections" I decided to adopt this terminology here and not call them "Friends". I prefer this to stay. For example LinkedIn is also using this term.

Definitely synchronize with the translators, it wouldn't do to have an update that contains both normal changes and punctuation changes, it would break the recycling. Better split it in 2 steps, with the normal changes first, so we can get fully localized at this level, then a second template with only the punctuation changes, so everything will be recycled and we just need to add the punctuation.

Edit: One step would do if there are no updated resources with punctuation.

Maybe that "connection" thing is specific to French, this word is also the standard translation for "log in" (and network connections), so the same word could mean 3 different things. I used "contact" in French for now, it can easily be changed. I agree that "friend" would not do, these users could be family members or professionals, but "connection" seems cold and technical. Bugger (another localizer's word ;) the terminology, what matters is that the feature is awesome!

Some more issues found.

The worst one is the sentences split in order to insert HTML tags in the middle.

This just doesn't work, as the "middle" for English may well be the beginning or end for another language: "Visit the" + "Help" + "section" could be "Visit la section Help" or "The section Help visitieren" in some languages, so the resource "section" would be translated as an empty string or as the translation for "visit", not for "section", which would mess up recycling in both cases.

These separate resources should be merged back together, and a delimiter be chosen for these special links or words in bold. For instance: "Visit the Help section." (with punctuation while you are at it.)

I am using as an example, as it is easily understood by localization tools, but you might want to use a more unique tag and replace it with the actual HTML code, like "Visit the Help section.".

Here are all the resources of this type that I found:

forum

index.php:811 line 795

index.php:1167 line 795

While you are waiting why don't you take a look at our index.php:811 line 776

There's a

index.php:811 line 780

FAQ

index.php:811 line 784

section

index.php:811 line 811

Please replace all resources with full sentences and localizable placeholder strings:

While you are waiting why don't you take a look at our %s.

forum

There's a %s section.

FAQ

Some languages need to put verbs at the end of sentences, so "While you are waiting why don't you take a look at our

That's why your articles will be imported as unread and you can use our

feature to mark everything older than given days as read

index.php:812 lines 797, 802

Should be in one single resource.

You can enter a tag which will be

index.php:1219 line 1050

Unfinished sentence, impossible to localize.

Here's how you can use the advanced search features

to find articles containing both words

index.php:1369 lines 1284, 1294

Please merge back the two resources so it can be localized and resized properly.

Why "both" words, are there only 2 possible keywords in the search criteria,

It says "any" in the next sentence, not just two ("both").

Older resources:

Do you like

reader.php:219 line 560

index.php:1410 line 560

Please change to "Do you like %s?" so we can localize the question mark.

After I read about it's

decomission on July 1st 2013

I started searching for alternative software to read my favorite feeds

index.php:1329 lines 1114, 1118, 1122

Please change to "After I read about its decommission on July 1st 2013, I started searching for alternative software to read my favorite feeds.

The English text is missing localizable punctuation such as comma.

Typos on "it's" and "decomission".

If you like it

you can help it gain some popularity

or if you have a comment or an issue, you can always drop a line in my

feedback form

index.php:1333 lines 1141, 1145, 1149, 1156

Same as above, merge all 4 resources into one.

Using

for RSS/Atom parsing

index.php:1386 lines 1357, 1362

Please merge as "Using %s for RSS/Atom parsing"

You can import data in

format

compressed or plain XML

or from

archive

index.php:2076 lines 1906, 1911, 1916, 1921, 1926

Please merge as a single resource as mentioned above.

Words such as "archive" need to be moved around, punctuation added, etc.

Use the

function while reading articles to populate your channel

index.php:3710 lines 2530, 2534

Merge as a single resource with tags to surround whatever appears there.

A few typos and requests for context information:

Many more

login.php:115 line 263

Many more what? ;)

Please note that imporing is a one time operation

index.php:812 line 793

Typo

first

index.php:1216 line 1042

index.php:1224 line 1042

First what? Need to know if translation will be masculine or feminine or neutral gender.

Split in 2 separate resources if "first" refers to 2 different nouns.

to

index.php:1264 line 1075

How should "to" be localized? "toward", "in order to", "(sent) to"?

Better move it to the full sentence where it belongs if it's a split sentence.

Please

index.php:3224 line 2359

Please what? Is it part of a sentence or a supplication on its own? Not standard English.

Might be better to remove altogether.

You can subscribe to website's feed(s) directly by clicking on it's icon

index.php:2250 line 2099

you can enter this URL in it's preferences

index.php:2250 line 2109

Typo on "it's"

Please also remove all "this", "it", "its" anyway, and put the full text instead so it can be localized. Hard to localize "its" without knowing what it refers to, if it's masculine or feminine for instance.

Not keping filter applied when switching subscriptions

index.php:3028 line 2293

index.php:8937 line 3028 (no typo on this one)

Typo on "keping"

I don't understand the difference with "Not keeping filter when switching subscriptions", care to explain?

What is the crawler in the case of InoReader, is it the same as a web crawler?

Older resources:

Showing

index.php:2971 line 2265

index.php:3004 line 2265

index.php:3014 line 2265

index.php:3017 line 2265

index.php:3020 line 2265

index.php:3023 line 2265

Showing what? How does this appear in these 6 different resources?

's channel

index.php:2973 line 2269

include/global.php:1594 line 2269

Unlocalizable, please change to "%s's channel" so "%s" can be reordered after "channel" if necessary, like "channel of %s".

Passwords didn\\'t match

index.php:7258 line 2879

index.php:7499 line 2879

What is that? French and Italian have quotes everywhere, please make sure all resources can be entered using single quotes and that whatever may break the code is escaped by the code, not in the English resource or the translations.

If the translation needs to have quotes escaped, please provide the information in the dev comment clearly for all resources concerned, so we can check them all, not the only one that happens to have a quote in English.

Escaped quotes are usually a sign of badly imbricated HTML or scripting code, which shouldn't affect localization.

Nice, I see all the updated translations are in already.

There are a few resources that are still in English, so I assume they are hard-coded:

post-101-1377689129969_thumb.png

unread articles in the toolbar:

if it "%s unread article" in index.php:3042 line 2325, both singular and plural entries were localized, so maybe you missed the logic when it's 0 articles? For which you can't use the standard singular and plural resources, since zero is plural in English, but singular in most other languages. You probably need a third resource "0 unread article" with no placeholder.

post-101-13776891299735_thumb.png

Manage folders and tags in the tree pane context menus for folders (attached).

Probably because it's a more recent resource than the template used earlier today.

post-101-13776891299926_thumb.png

Here is an example of the tree pane truncations I mentioned earlier.

There seems to be a 3 attachments limit, so I'll open other posts for the rest.

More hard-coded resources attached.

And the 2 instances of "settings" in the Preferences dialog should actually be "preferences":

"Apply settings" and "Your settings was successfuly saved"

(with triple typo on the latter, "settings"->"preferences", "was"->"were", "successfuly"->"successfully".

post-101-13776891300144_thumb.png

"Please choose another"

index.php:325 line 669

index.php:334 line 669

include/global.php:431 line 669

include/global.php:450 line 669

Please merge with the previous sentence and include full punctuation.

"another" needs to be localized differently depending on the gender it refers to, like user name or email.

Current translation reflects badly on InoReader because of it.

A better possibility if the text is predefined and not just used in a print function is to introduce different resource identifiers so that the localizable resources are duplicated and localizable separately, instead of being merged into a single localizable resource based on the text content.

A few non-urgent feedback while reviewing the localized GUI of InoReader:

Hard-coded "Email" in "(Email, Pocket, Instapaper)"

Shows after "Automatic push to external services".

index.php:666 line 735

index.php:2588

index.php:3240

index.php:9884

The whole string and parentheses should be exposed to localization.

-----------------------------------

Hard-coded "Search" inside the Search box for the Subscriptions toolbar button (third toolbar button from the left).

The string should be exposed to localization.

The icon Posted Image on the right of all articles is missing a tooltip like "Open the source site's page that contains the article" or something.

4 hard-coded strings at the bottom of the articles should be localizable:

post-101-13776891317555_thumb.png

Funny thing is that "Broadcast" is localized at first, but reverts to English once you click on it.

Use a specific resource identifier to dissociate "Broadcasted" (singular) from the other plural occurrences so it can be localized accordingly: index.php:2688 line 2402, index.php:3728.

"Save comment" (index.php:4398 line 2852) is way off mark and the button appears on 2 lines because of that, with only the first few characters of each word visible.

post-101-13776891317641_thumb.png

I suggest to reduce drastically the width of the comment box, and to replace the "Save comment" resource by a validation icon instead of text. The comment header and comment after validation need to be shortened too.

When sharing an article by email, the email sent contains 2 English strings:

"XXX shared this with you."

"Sent from InoReader"

In case a future feature will allow the user to select the recipient among their connections, it would be great to retrieve the language of the recipient from their Preferences. In the mean time, the language of the user can be used, assuming that there is a 90% likelihood that the sender and the recipient share the same language. The 2 resources will need to be exposed to localization.

The promotion email is libelled in English.

It should be in the sender's language picked up from the Preferences.

The recipient's language is not known and can't be picked up from the recipient's Preferences since the recipient is not an InoReader yet, so the sender's language is the best bet.

Email subject:

InoReader - Light and Fast RSS Reader

Content:

Hi,

I just wanted to share InoReader with you. It's an RSS Aggregator inspired by Google Reader.

It's also available in the Chrome Web Store.

There is also a "Chrome Web Store link" text in the message that should be exposed to localization.

And I don't think I saw "XXX sent you a message." in the localizable resources either.

You might want to add the user's name as a signature too.

Replace the two "It's" with "It is" for more standard English (or better, use "InoReader" again), and maybe replace "RSS Aggregator" with "RSS feed reader and aggregator" (uncapitalized) because "aggregator" is really too nerdy or means nothing for most users.

Man you are killing me.

I really appreciate all this, because it's a great contribution, but I will need days to just grasp all the stuff you wrote and then maybe at least a week to implement and fix all of those. I don't mean they are not important, they are, but lately I'm having huge issues to keep up with everything, as other projects in work started to grow and consume time, also personal life is calling (two kids) and I'm lucky if I find 2 or 3 hours, scattered throughout the day to pay some attention to InoReader. Most of the communication I'm doing from mobile (hence the one-line responses some times), because I want to focus mainly on code when I'm at the computer.

I'm writing this so you don't think I'm ignoring your posts.

P.S. I already took some actions to make this project less dependable on me, because one-man-army doesn't scale more than this, and the project is already suffering, but it will take some time. More on this next week.

I know and understand, these reports are mostly for the record, not requests to fix urgently.

I write them down as I find them so we don't forget about them.

The forum is not really the best way to handle such issues, I see a real bug management system was already suggested in the feature suggestions, I strongly support it, it would make it easier to report, sort, prioritize, track and fix all these issues. There's a bunch of solutions like Bugzilla I am used to.

I also think the reports are important to give a sense of the size and complexity of the project, and the resources it requires or will require to make everything real nice and professional looking together with all the features, so we don't underestimate it.

You also deserve a huge amount of merits for tackling localization on top of the rest, there's barely any feed readers among the GR alternatives that care for the users at this level. I don't even think Digg will have localized versions soon, as they seem to target a release end of June, so no exposure to thousands of users like you have, no feedback before GR dies, probably no localization either, etc. They say, don't expect the moon, we are a small team. But they still have a multi-million dollar payroll, small as they are, so I am totally impressed with what you've been able to achieve so far.

I have been using JIRA for years, so I think this will be the issue tracking system. It's just not the right time now, because I will have to just stop writing code and only take care of "paperwork"...

And about Digg, don't underestimate them. They might be doing closed beta testing for a long time. I don't think they are stupid. It's just that large companies tend to over engineer stuff and many users don't like it. That's why I didn't like any of the current alternatives and decided to start this thing. The only simple-looking solution out there was The Old Reader, but it was ...well too simple. Almost no options and I didn't like the looks of it.

I don't even know why journalists listed The Old Reader as an alternative to GR, it has no infrastructure and development team behind, it's just a version of GR stuck in time. It took about a week to get my few GR subscriptions imported back in March.

Haha, I don't underestimate Digg, but they're taking their pretty time.

Low priority: "Refreshing..." appears in English when you click on the Refresh toolbar button.

Unlike "Loading..." which is localized when you click on the Unread|All Articles or the sorting toggles or on Mark all as read.

The resource is currently hard-coded, please make it localizable (together with the ellipse as "Refreshing...", not "Refreshing" + "...")

-------------------------------

Low priority: Hard-coded "Email" in Preferences|Profile between "User name" and "Name".

Low priority: In Preferences|Profile|Profile picture, remove "account" from the "Facebook account" option, keep only "Facebook" because the concatenation of the 2 resources "Facebook" and "account" does not work for localization, the order is wrong and the spelling might be different than for a standalone "account" resource for some languages.

post-101-13776891323101_thumb.png

Same thing in Preferences|Integration, remove "account" or even better, expose "Facebook account" as a single localizable resource so it can be localized as "account Facebook" or whatever is needed to make sense.

Low priority: Hard-coded "Saving..." in Preferences when clicking on "Apply settings" or "Save & close".

In Preferences|Integration:

Please remove ")" from "By connecting to your Facebook account you can login without username and password in the application)", there is no opening parenthesis.

It would also be better to replace "in the application" by "in InoReader" or "in %s" in the above resource and the one for Google, as InoReader is more a web service than an application and it's not clear if "application" means Google or Facebook or InoReader.

Please add " (iPad, iPhone, Android tables and phones, etc....)" at the end of the existing "Pocket is a free service which allows you to store items such as articles and read them later on any screen you want" resource, and remove the redundant ellipse, the correct syntax is "etc." And typo in "tablets".

Please remove the hard-coded ")" concatenation at the end of "You can use it to automatically receive new articles via the AutoPush function" for both Pocket and Instapaper, there is no opening parenthesis.

That's it for today! ;)

Just a note: you shouldn't bother adding "low priority" to your comments, ideas, opinions. Let Jacket decide what is important, and what needs an urgent fix, but can be scheduled for later.

Sure, no problem. but I think I'll still flag the important bugs as a way to help triage 'em bugs.

And "localizability issues" are actual bugs, not "comments, ideas, opinions", which go into feature suggestions or terminology queries already.

Most of my localizability bugs are actually trivial to fix and to stay on top of, like English typos or hard-coded strings, they should probably be fixed before starting any new languages, it would make the job of the voluntary translators easier and the localized versions match language standards, like the hard-coded localizable punctuation.

Some of those I implement on the fly, some takes seconds to fix, some takes more and will happen later.

The feed information box has a couple hard-coded resources ("More than n hours", "Success").

The locale for the date, time, and latency have been mentioned already, and can be partly worked around in the Preferences.

The two URLs could probably be a little longer to fill the empty space.

The 2 missing buttons to set up auto push and unsubscribe have been mentioned in the bugs forum already.

post-101-13776891326175_thumb.png

More than.... will be fixed now. The rest are different.. Success is a text from the database