nickv2002

JSON Feed Support

11 posts in this topic

I would love to see support for JSON feeds.  The spec was recently introduced here and it would be great to see Inoreader supporting it (in order to get past the chicken/egg phase).

It's also designed to be very simple: just like JSON itself. :-D

Thanks!

-Nick

So now we can all use Inoreader to subscribe to the JSON feed of the JSONfeed.org website;-)

Do you agree it would be cool if Inoreader would auto-discover JSON feeds exposed through a page header's <link rel=...> tag and inform users if a publisher's website offers a JSON feed as an alternative?

Try the JSONfeed.org website as an example. It has a auto-discoverable JSON feed, but Inoreader doesn't detect it yet. 

RSSCircus and imyselfwillrise like this

Thanks @Jacket

One thing I've noticed just by looking at the behavior of both the RSS and JSON version of Daring Fireball's feed is that the external_url field seems to result in different behavior in the web interface.

In the old RSS version of the feed, following the link on title of an item in the Inoreader web interface would go to the <link rel="alternate"> URL which would be the item he's linking to (e.g. an article on the Verge etc).

When viewing the new JSON feed on the web interface, the main link goes the url which is the permalink on Daring Fireball. While the external_url field (linking to a Verge article or whatever) is not exposed.

I preferred the old behavior since I could read the comment and then follow the link in one click (or keyboard shortcut).  I'm not sure if there's a connoical or better way to handle this but it might be worth considering exposing the external_url instead or additionally.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, nickv2002 said:

Thanks @Jacket

One thing I've noticed just by looking at the behavior of both the RSS and JSON version of Daring Fireball's feed is that the external_url field seems to result in different behavior in the web interface.

In the old RSS version of the feed, following the link on title of an item in the Inoreader web interface would go to the <link rel="alternate"> URL which would be the item he's linking to (e.g. an article on the Verge etc).

When viewing the new JSON feed on the web interface, the main link goes the url which is the permalink on Daring Fireball. While the external_url field (linking to a Verge article or whatever) is not exposed.

I preferred the old behavior since I could read the comment and then follow the link in one click (or keyboard shortcut).  I'm not sure if there's a connoical or better way to handle this but it might be worth considering exposing the external_url instead or additionally.

Thanks!

Do you have an example of an old feed that shows the alternate URL? I don't think that we've ever parsed and saved those alternate URLs.

14 minutes ago, RSSCircus said:

And what about having the choice between RSS and JSON Feed in the tag/folder export feature?

Where exactly? I think we've added it everywhere.

@Jacket as I explained in my post, you're using the alternate URL in the Daring Fireball RSS feed already.

Just look at the example I attached for the most recent thing DF posted. (They don't seem to both show on here so here's RSS and here JSON screenshots.)

On both images I've got the mouse hovering over the title line of Nick Murray on Alcantara: ‘It’s Garbage’ so you can see on the bottom left where Inoreader is linking out to. For the RSS feed it links to the YouTube URL. For the JSON feed it links to the Daring Fireball site.

Then I downloaded the most recent JSON and RSS feeds from DF directly (attached here for your ease) and simply grepped through them for the ID of that YouTube video to find where it was linked in the feed:

$ /usr/bin/grep "aebUNgMhQV4" feed.json feed.xml
feed.json:         "external_url" : "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebUNgMhQV4&feature=youtu.be",
feed.xml:		<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebUNgMhQV4&amp;feature=youtu.be"/>

So there's only one instance of that URL in each feed. In the RSS (XML) feed it's the alternate link and in the JSON feed it's the external_url.

Should these be treated differently as Inoreader does now? I don't think the behavior is correct but perhaps you could explain if you think it's behaving correctly now

Thanks!

rss.png

json.png

feed.json

feed.xml

Edited by nickv2002
added external screenshots since they don't both show up in attachment view

20 hours ago, nickv2002 said:

@Jacket as I explained in my post, you're using the alternate URL in the Daring Fireball RSS feed already.

Yes, we are using only the "alternate" link in the RSS. My mistake with the terminology.

However see here: https://jsonfeed.org/mappingrssandatom

link with rel="alternate" maps to url in JSON. If rel="related"is used for links to an external site, in JSON Feed those map to external_url.

I think that's an issue with the DF feed. Or rather, now the feed is correctly presenting its internal and external urls.

nickv2002 likes this