maddhin

iOS scroll bar jump marks articles as read

Hi,

I have an annoying bug: I have a few feeds which have a lot of unread articles and I read the feed with the mark as read on scroll function switched on. Now, sometimes when I return to the feed after reading an article (by pushing back button), the scroll bar jumps down 20-50 articles and marks them as read!! The same seems to happen, when new articles are fetched while reading an article. Inoreader jumps to the top of the list and scrolls down to last position marking all the newly fetched articles read, too.

Please fix this!!!!

Edit: I do have old articles (older than 3-4 weeks) in those feeds/folders if that helps to fix the problem. 

Hello, 

We can't simulate similar behavior here. And also there is no other similar feedback. 

On what device and Inoreader app version (you can see the app version from Settings -> About ) you are experiencing this?

Also what sorting you are using (oldest/newest first)? 

Are you able to simulate this behavior every time returning from article in the articles list? 

Any additional information will be appreciated...

Version: 5.2.4 build 5505

Unfortunately, I cannot replicate the error as it happens only 'once in a while'.

I sort by newest first and the error seems to be triggered when new articles arrive while reading an old article (Old = loaded articles after clicking "older articles") and then going back. One can literally see the new articles being added and then the scrolling down. 

I'm sorry I can't be more precise but will try to remember everything next time it happens. In the past I actually thought I accidentally pushed the scrollbar when going back causing this but I can confirm it happens simply by going back (pushing back arrow). 

Maybe it was just a weird hiccup - the other day it happened 3 times a day, last 2 days not a single time. 

OK, here is how it happens:

I opened an folder and started reading an article, the screen flickers briefly and after I go back to the article list, Inoreader scrolls to the top of the list, adds newly downloaded articles and then scrolls down to last position - and thereby marking all newly added articles as read (if one has the mark-read-on-scroll switched one). 

So it seems to be caused by the way Inoreader adds new articles in 'unsynced' folders. In the past - if I remember correctly, Inoreader just added new articles 'quietly' on top WITHOUT the scrolling. 

If I remember correctly, this also happens with 'synced' folders (wait until all new articles are loaded) simply when new articles are fetched. 

I can't confirm yet but the behavior seems to be related to offline folders. It seems that if Inoreader is downloading new articles and one reads the offline stored articles, after the import Inoreader is adding the new articles and scrolls down as many articles as one read before. 

So it seems to be related to the initial sync when opening a folder. Consecutive syncs seem to add articles right and just show the little 'x new articles' message but no scrolling.

Hope this helps.

Hi, a quick question: has this issue been fixed?

I had been very careful in the last weeks to load articles first but in cases I didn't, there is still some scrolling happening but the articles seem correctly labeled unread now. If this is fixed, I could save the time of pre-pre-loading articles... ;)

many thanks!

21 minutes ago, maddhin said:

Hi, a quick question: has this issue been fixed?

Yes, it should be fixed and on 5.3 (5522) you shouldn't have these issues. Sorry that we didn't inform you earlier. 

Let us know if you are still experiencing similar behavior. 

Hi, in the latest version of the app, this issue seems to be back. When reading articles while articles are still downloaded, there is usually not a jump/scrolling but the then newly added articles are marked read (mark-as-read-when-scrolling + offline folder function switched on).

Can you please double-check? Thanks!

Hi, as mentioned ~2 weeks ago, there is still/again some issues with new articles coming in - at least a part of the newly added articles is marked as read when important (original problem).